Arville’s story begins in Harrogate, Yorkshire, in 1954. The purpose-built Arville Works were originally used to manufacture textiles that would be used to make uniforms for the public transport sector – and to this day, we continue to provide technical textiles for essential public services.
In 1960, the business relocated to Wetherby, where Arville entered the technical textiles industry by creating filtration fabrics. Continued growth saw a second factory open in 1973, with this additional capacity seeing us branch out further into weaving synthetic yarns.
1954 – The Early Years
Arville was founded by William Wight who, with Eddie Fegan, began contract weaving woollen textiles which were used in the manufacture of uniforms for the public transport sector.
1960 – Factory Move
As the business grew it relocated to Wetherby to benefit from improved transport links and availability of labour. New work was secured manufacturing textiles which were used in the filtration industry, providing an entry into the market for technical textiles.
1973 - Second Factory Built
To meet with increasing demand, further premises (Factory 2) were built at Wetherby to create dedicated capacity for twisting and warping machinery to feed the looms.
1978 - Weaving Synthetic Yarns
The first rapier weaving machinery was installed for the production of flat fabrics.
1985 – Market Growth
A second bay was built at Factory 2 to meet with increasing demand as Arville continued to grow its market share within the defence, aerospace and automotive industries, supplying key companies with high performance woven textiles.
1989 – Fleet Expansion
The first Dornier looms were installed at Wetherby, over time this capacity was strengthened to become a state-of-the-art fleet specialising in the weaving of technical textiles.
1991 – Plant Development
Dedicated finishing equipment was installed so that all finishing processes could be carried out in-house, improving efficiency, quality and technical performance of the fabrics.
1995 – Further Investment
A Benninger warping machine was installed.
1997 - Acquisition
Arville acquired The Multiple Fabric Company to further diversify the offering to customers with complex requirements for pre-fabricated textile pieces.
2000 - Acquisition of Coating Plant
Arville acquired a coating plant, P&S Textiles to further strengthen its portfolio of textile production, creating the capability of complete end-to-end manufacturing of technical fabrics entirely within the Arville group of companies.
Today sees Arville positioned as a 'best-in-class' specialist in the field of technical textiles operating with a team of highly experienced textile professionals who have expert knowledge of fabric design, weaving technology, loom set-up, coating & finishing properties and product make-up.
By 1989, the first Dornier looms had been installed at Arville’s Wetherby factory, with a dedicated finishing plant following in 1991, strengthening our ability to provide a complete, integrated end-to-end approach to textile manufacture.
Over the past two decades, Arville has acquired the Multiple Fabric Company, and P&S Textiles to further diversify our production portfolio, and provide additional services to our customers, creating the Arville group of companies.
More recently, Arville has completed a £1 million upgrade of its fabric coating plant, invested in an additional stenter line to increase finishing capacity, installed a laser flatbed cutting table, and improved the energy efficiency of our production machinery as part of our ongoing dedication to providing a best-in-class service and approach.
The process of improvement is never finished – from our early days manufacturing industrial textiles to our current work exploring the future of ballistics and aerospace, Arville is always driving innovation.